I was asked by one of my wonderful readers, Oh Hi Ohio!, to offer suggestions for maternity staples.
Let me preface this little post by stating that maternity wardrobe staples are obviously based on the seasons in which you will be in the depths of your pregnancy, along with your work environment, and of course, personal taste.
Like my first, my second pregnancy will take me through fall and into winter. Last time around I found a few key pieces that allowed me to keep maternity purchases to a minimum, and most importantly, get a lot more use out of great pieces I already had in my closet. The overall key is LAYER and ACCESSORIZE!
Here are a few staples I believe can work for any and all occasions:
1. Maternity Tanks- Next time you visit your local Target, be sure to pick up a few Liz Lange Maternity Tanks in multiple colors. These tanks are absolutely perfect. Long, lean, soft, stretchy, comfortable, and absolutely fantastic for layering, which is key in the fall/winter.
2. Maternity Leggings/Jeans/Pants- You are most likely not going to be able to get away with not purchasing some sort of maternity pants. I found that having three key pairs is perfect for the fall/winter seasons. I would call these three pieces my “investment pieces,” as I spent the most amount of money on them, knowing they would be worn constantly.
- Leggings are a must, and depending on the material can be dressed up or down. I went with David Lerner Maternity Leggings and did not regret this purchase. I also had a couple of casual pairs from Gap for lounge wear.
- Jeans are a must have staple for everyday wear. I went with a dark wash skinny that I could easily dress up or down. If you are already loyal to a brand that you love, and they make maternity, stick with it. I have been a loyal J Brand wearer for years, so it felt natural to go with what I already loved.
- Skinny Pants are my go-to for work. I have one pair that are worn daily, therefore needed a good pair to stand the test of time and growth. I went with the J. Crew Minnie pants (because they are available in tall), which I already owned in non-maternity, and now rely on in maternity. I know Profashional loves Old Navy’s version of the Minnie.
3. Versatile Dress- You can go so many directions with this piece. I stuck with a couple of solid color dresses that can again be dressed up or down and the layering options are endless. I wear them constantly to work and on weekends, dress them up, dress them down and always with different accessories to mix it up. Asos has a nice selection of reasonably priced pieces, as does Old Navy (thanks Profashional)!
4. Striped Tee- Great piece to throw in if you are not in the layering mood!
Remember, layering is key for fall/winter pregnancies. My closet already contains a plethora of different blazers, leather jackets, long and short cardigans, jean jackets, vest, and other jacket types that I continue to wear during pregnancy, and can easily pair with any of the above items.
Plus, with boot season upon us, shoe choices increase, which can easily switch up an outfit. Finally, keep all your scarves, fun jewelry, bags and other accessories in rotation, and you will never be bored!
Wishing you the very best with your pregnancy and beyond!