Welcome to my little corner of the fashion world! I am so glad you are here.
I'm a high school English and Journalism teacher who moonlights as a fashionista!
Other than my love of all things fashion, I'm a city girl who loves her husband, family, friends and two adorable chihuahuas.
Thanks for stopping by!
March 6, 2013 and March 6, 2014
A year ago, at this very moment, I was 35 hours into labor and still 6 hours away from meeting this little guy for the first time. I just reread my birth story and am now crying at my desk.
What a year. It is so difficult for me to articulate the emotions of this day. A year ago, at this very moment, I still couldn’t imagine what my world would be like with him. And now, there is simply no world without him.
On a lighter note, we will actually celebrate Jeff’s birthday this year! I love that they share an extra special bond of sharing the same birthday.
It has been so amazing to watch Jeff grow as both a father and husband this past year. I love these two guys with my whole heart.
Our little guy’s 1st birthday party this past Saturday went off without a hitch! I, of course, went overboard in every way when it came to party planning and decor. Our March Madness theme was perfect, seeing we have all three of our birthdays within a four day span!
Such an amazing time spent with family and friends, celebrating this crazy and absolutely amazing year. Conor had an absolute blast, and despite having a nasty cold, was in full on party mode all afternoon.
So much love all around for this little guy!
We’ve been quite busy over here in this little corner. Here is a little snippet of what has been happening lately…
- In less than a week, Conor will be ONE. I’ve been experiencing ALL the feelings in regards to this milestone; it is truly unbelievable. More on that topic later.
- With a first birthday upon us, that obviously means a 1st birthday party is about to go down! I have been in full party planning mode for the “March Madness” themed bash we are hosting at our place tomorrow. We are a family of March birthdays, with me on Sunday the 2nd and Jeff AND Conor on the 6th. That, along with being a huge basketball family, made the theme choice an easy one!
- We got to catch up with friends last weekend to celebrate National Margarita Day with some delicious frozen drinks and Mexican food at Mayan Palace.
- This past Tuesday night, I was lucky enough to meet up with eight amazing ladies for our book/wine/moms club. We had a lovely time at Beatrix chatting about kids, fashion, upcoming vacations, jobs, the suburbs, and… life. We even talked a little bit about the book! I continue to be amazed by the people I have met and the friends I have made through this little outlet.
- Speaking of vacations… I prevailed! A spring break vacation has been booked! We are headed to San Diego to escape the Chicago winter that WILL NOT END in four short weeks.
- I’m waiting to hear back official word, but it looks as though I will be beginning my second master’s degree through Michigan State University here in a couple of weeks. I am feeling nervous and excited at the same time! It’s been four years since I finished my first master’s program so being a student again is going to be a bit of an adjustment.
- On to all things TV and Netflix related- almost done with the final season of Breaking Bad, still loving True Detective and so glad Scandel is back!
Happy Friday and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
- Not much happening around these parts as of late. Still trying to channel spring in any way I can, but I’m not having much luck. I was able to take some of my aggression out this week by knocking at least 50 massive icicles of the house with one of Jeff’s golf clubs. Those things are dangerous!!
- Currently mid season 3 of Breaking Bad, which I’m really liking. We’ve also recently been turned on to True Detective, so thinking about catching up on that new show as well.
- Have a Valentine’s date tonight with my little guy. Jeff is working late, so Conor and I are going to go out to dinner together, just the two of us. He’s gotta carb up for his second swim class in the morning!
- Tomorrow night, Jeff and I are headed to a new tequila bar that just opened up near us, and is getting fab reviews. I’m really looking forward to dressing up a bit and enjoying a taco flight and margaritas.
- Still working on getting Jeff to agree to Spring Break…
Happy Valentine’s Day! Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!
I don’t challenge myself enough any more. I took this, along with a few other positive things, away from the last 30 days.
I’m proud of myself for accomplishing the goal I set out to achieve. The first few days were rough; I was missing my sweets, but I was so determined that I never felt overly tempted. It was actually smooth sailing for those first couple of weeks.
By week three (Day 22 to be exact), and after that initial determination had weakened a bit, those were the toughest days. I remained strong, and am not even exaggerating in saying it was wine that got me through.
Thoughts & Tidbits
- I couldn’t believe how dependent I was on ketchup and bbq sauce until I couldn’t use it any more.
- But seriously, rotisserie chickens FTW.
- I am now disgusted thinking back to the amount of sugar cereal I put into my body.
- As much as I hate to say it, the deep freeze weather helped me in completing this challenge, simply because it caused us to stay in more, therefore the temptations faced by eating out a couple of times a week was not an issue.
- Red wine. I needed to have something to really look forward to at the end of each day as my mini reward, and red wine was the grand prize.
Overall, I feel healthier and have more energy. Although losing weight was not a motivation, I am 5 lbs. lighter than I was 30 days ago, which puts me back at my exact pre-pregnancy weight.
I plan to keep sugar out of my diet to a certain extent, meaning I will enjoy in moderation. This morning, I even split a red velvet donut with my mom, remembering that moderation is key to this type of lifestyle change.
(Graphic above was included in the email I received yesterday, and Jeff was kind enough bring home tulips as a mini-congrats.)
1. So excited for my three Mama friends (Renee, Ash, and Selena) who are celebrating (or are about to celebrate) 1st birthdays and 1st anniversaries of becoming mommies! I so remember each baby being born like it was last week. I remember feeling ALL the emotions with them and for them, and knowing I was in the homestretch myself. I have so much love for each of them!
2. Which means plans for Conor’s 1st Birthday party are in full force. We are going to be hosting a March Madness party theme, and I ordered these great ticket invites from Party Treatment on Etsy last week.
3. Currently trying to convince my husband that we MUST escape the cold and take a vacation. So far I am not having much luck (the idea of flying with a one year old who won’t stay still haunts him), but I don’t feel like I’ve struck out yet, so I’m going to keep trying to break him.
4. 26 days sugar free and still going strong. Looking forward to reaching my goal of 30 days. My biggest threat this week came in the form of DD heart shaped donuts, but I remained strong and resisted!
5. Speaking of resisting, I could do it no longer with this Equipment Bomber Jacket (thanks to RockabyeBucktown). Let’s just say my 25% coupon at Scoop was put to good use.
Happy Friday and weekend!